Monday, March 31, 2014

Mini Forest of Veggies!

Baby Brussels sprouts are so pretty and frilly!  They took longer than the cauliflower to come up, but they look quite similar.



The green onions came out today too!

The Walla Walla onions are leaving them in the dust!  They're like a sparse grass at this point.

And I have marigolds!  They look like half the things that pop up initially.  I guess all babies look similar.


And the pretty nasturtiums are coming up now!


The cauliflower is going nuts.  They don't seem to mind the Dixie Cups, and in fact the cups are starting to break down, so they may not have been as bad of a choice as I initially thought.

The buttercrunch and green salad bowl lettuce babes are looking strong, leaning toward the sun.

The broccoli is looking a little sad.  These are the only ones growing so far.  Might have to move them to a sunnier location.

What I'm really excited about, what makes me totally giddy, is the zucchini.  I don't know why.  Maybe it's because store-bought zucchini sucks and has a terrible aftertaste.  Maybe it's because I so desperately want some zucchini bread.  Maybe it's because *someone* gave away a handful of my zucchinis from last year to neighbors who didn't even know what it was or what to do with it and I had none to store for winter.  Maybe it's because they look so darn awesome!

They're fuzzy!!!

Look at this little guy who got shoved over into the corner!  NOBODY PUTS BABY IN THE CORNER! 

And this one is wearing its seedpod as a hat.  Heh.  It must be hard to adjust to being in the light after a year in a seedpod.  I'd need a visor, too. 

And those are my babies today.  My hand is healing okay and I was able to move furniture around and set up the third greenhouse to start the herbs and the San Marzano tomatoes.  Speaking of tomatoes, none of my tomatoes or the hot peppers are sprouting yet.  Sadness.  I need tomatoes and peppers.  I even found out last year mine had blight, and there's something organic you can use to keep them from getting blight, so I'm ready for them this year.  C'mon, guys.  You can do it!

Potatoes?  Yea or nay?  I can't decide.  They're so cheap at the store, and someone once said not to waste time growing things that are cheap and easily available at the stores, but the idea of it intrigues me.  I keep watching YouTube videos and they seem simple enough.  So, just in case, I've kept some of my potatoes that started to sprout.  Oh, the possibilities!



No comments:

Post a Comment