Friday, June 20, 2014

In Bloom

Well, I've been eating broccoli and lettuce for a while now, and I read somewhere that if you let a head or two go to flower, it will help produce more heads of broccoli, so I did it and look what pretty flowers broccoli make!  So pretty and delicate.  And these flowers are residing in the little dots that make up broccoli!  It's ridiculously amazing.
So weird, it reminds me of something I heard on NPR recently about the caterpillar's transition into a butterfly.  An entomologist explained that when the caterpillar is in the chrysalis, it turns into this liquid goo and from that goo a butterfly will emerge, which is shocking because you might assume the caterpillar just grows big wings and the body shrinks, but it actually liquefies most of its body.  And the weirdest part is if you slit a caterpillar open, inside are the wings!!  OMG, the butterfly is inside the caterpillar all along!  And so are the broccoli flowers, scrunched up inside the teeny green buds that are our favorite parts to eat.  Enjoy those broccoli flower buds, folks.

I think two of my Brussels sprouts aren't a sprout at all.  It looks a lot like a cabbage to me.  I guess that's okay since I'm still eating the Brussels sprouts from last year, and growing thrice as many this year seemed a little foolhardy.  Cabbage is a welcome surprise! 

My buttercrunch lettuce is huge and I've been bringing bags of it to work for my coworkers.  I'm getting tired of salad.  Particularly when my tomatoes haven't popped out yet.  Oh, and look at those awesome onions poking their oniony tentacles up all around!  

I don't know what is going on with my zucchini.  Some of the fruit rotted before it grew more than a couple inches, and there are all these broken leaf stalks.  Does it do this to provide more sun to the fruit?  Did I screw something up?  DID THE DOGS TRAMPLE IT??

Still, there will be zucchinis to be eaten, thankfully.  More please!

These are my pumpkins growing in the semi-shade of the zucchini, doing very well, I think.  Goooooo, little pumpkins! 

Cucumber flowers mean that cucumbers are not far behind.  I don't care about cucumbers except for the delicious cucumber salad recipe I got from a coworker (which is heavy on the vinegar and takes my breath away) and I'm looking forward to trying that with my homegrown cukes.  Bring it on, baby! 

How these long things are supposed to turn into round, rotund, Rubanesque cantaloupe, I'm not sure, but at this point, whatever grows is going to be eaten and enjoyed, regardless.

And just because life is so awesome to see sprouting up, here's the pic I took at a forest preserve of a snapping turtle laying eggs right on the side of the road.  She's a brave one.  I don't know how smart this is, but there they are.

Maybe soon there will be baby snapper hatchlings scurrying into the water here.  I'm going to keep watching for them. 

And in front of my house, the columns on the front porch have always had sparrows but this is the first time I've seen babies.  There are three up there, on top of the column, but only one likes to hang its head out and see me.

It's probably wondering where the worms are.

It's a sad frown baby birds wear, but I think they perk up once they can fly.  Have a good life, little birdie!


No comments:

Post a Comment